Minutes 30TH JULY 2019

MINUTES OF THE FULL COUNCIL MEETING HELD AT BROMSBERROW VILLAGE HALL ON TUESDAY, 30TH JULY AT 7.30 PM

PRESENT:

Cllr John Stephens (Chairman), Cllr David Hunter (coopted), Cllr Lesley Preston (coopted), Cllr Brian Burford (appointed by DC), Cllr Gill Moseley (appointed by DC), Cllr Brian Lewis (appointed by DC)

Also Present: Cllr Will Windsor Clive (County Cllr) (part), Mrs Ruth Warne (Acting Clerk)

1          ELECTION OF CHAIRMAN OF COUNCIL

1.1       It was proposed, seconded and agreed that Cllr Stephens be elected Chairman in accordance with Local Government Act 1972 s15 (1).

The Chairman suggested that the Chairmanship be rotated around Members.

2          APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

2.1       Received from Glenis Coates and Cllr Julia Gooch.

3          TO RECEIVE ANY APPLICATIONS FOR COOPTION

3.1       Lesley Preston introduced herself and stated that had worked as an Insolvency Practitioner and has contributed to the community in various ways.

            David Hunter introduced himself, he is a former councillor and has been the RFO for many years.

It was stated that Glenis Coates has offered to serve but she is away on holiday.

It was proposed, seconded and agreed that the 3 applicants, as named above, be coopted to serve on the Council.

3.2       Members were given Declarations of Acceptance of Office and Registers of Interest to sign.

3.2       Cllr Burford suggested that Cllr Gooch may no longer wish to serve on the Council (though it was noted that she had given apologies).  Cllr Burford will speak to the Monitoring Officer and advise that there are now 4 Residents serving on the Council, however it was thought that it would be beneficial for one or two district councillors to stay on.

4          ELECTION OF VICE CHAIRMAN

4.1       It was proposed, seconded and agreed that Cllr Preston be elected Vice Chairman.

5          REPORT OF DISTRICT COUNCILLOR

5.1       Cllr Burford explained the political make-up of the new Council.  It has begun looking at the Forward Plan, including allocation of houses, all this is at a very early stage.  In the next Plan cycle 2026 to 2041 the Council will have to allocate land for 8,000 houses.  The existing Plan will be live during start of new Plan: 4,000 houses have already been identified in the current plan.  The Army occupy a site at Beechley, which it is thought they will vacate; it has potential for 1,000 houses.  There is limited scope to add to the 4 existing market towns, therefore it is intended to expand some villages or provide a new settlement.  There is a vision to produce a carbon neutral settlement. A discussion draft will be produced this autumn on which there will be a consultation. A formal draft will then be produced.  The type of housing to be provided is all evidence based.  The current policy of the district council is for 40% affordable dwellings on major sites, but the evidence base needs to be refreshed for the new Plan.

6          REPORT OF COUNTY COUNCILLOR

6.1       Cllr Windsor Clive reported that he represented this Parish as a district councillor, and that he has been a county councillor for many years.  The spend is £1 billion per year.  The Council will spend £150 M over 4 years on highways, so improvements should be apparent over this time; they are trying to renew surfaces rather than just fill in potholes.  He is chasing a complaint re leaves.  There are many requests for speed limits in front of houses.  Huge savings are being made in Adult Social Care, 50% of the budget is spent on this.  The Council is trying to keep people in their homes for longer and help them cope at home.  The Fire Service is being used as first responders.  The PCCM wants to take over the Fire Service, but the County is against this.  Child Protection was found inadequate 2 years ago, but more investment has been put into this.  The Police are inadequate on reporting crime, and nationally there is a problem with fraud.

[Cllr Windsor Clive left the meeting]

7          DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

7.1       None.

8          TO CONFIRM MINUTES OF MEETING HELD ON 24TH APRIL 2019

8.1       It was proposed, seconded and agreed that the Minutes be confirmed as a true record.

8.2       It was agreed to set the following Agenda item for next meeting: to locate as many of the historic minutes of the Parish Council as possible and collate into a Minute book. 

9          PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

9.1       No public present.

10        PLANNING

10.1     Applications

Former Sand Quarry – Variation of Condition 4 (scope of development) for an additional 5 years for restoration works. Permission granted – noted – this is in the Parish of Dymock.

A number of concerns were raised about operations in this quarry and also the one at Ryton Road.  It was agreed to write to the County Council and to the Environment Agency about this.

10.2     Correspondence

Gloucestershire Minerals Local Plan – Main Modifications – Consultation. Noted

Draft Affordable Housing Supplementary Planning Document. Noted.

11        TO AGREE SCHEDULE OF MEETINGS

11.1     It was agreed to meet bimonthly on the 4th Tuesday of the month.

12        FINANCIAL MATTERS

12.1     To give retrospective approval for payments made since last meeting and to consider and approve invoices for payment

Invoices paid, since last meeting requiring approval
Payee Date Total Chq No
Website 25 May 30.00 22232
Maintenance (grass cutting) 28 May 450.00 22233
GAPTC 3 Jun 118.91 22234
Auditor (Internal Audit) 4 Jun 50.00 22235
Invoices to be paid at current meeting requiring approval
Insurance (due 16th August, 5 year plan) 30 Jul 512.13 22236
Maintenance 30 Jul TBC 22237
Invoice from R Warne 30 Jul 110.30 22238

 

After discussion it was proposed, seconded and agreed that a maintenance payment of up to £500 be authorised for grass cutting, and that the payments as listed above be agreed.

Cllr Hunter presented the bank reconciliation up to 6th July; the statement balance is £11,418.67. The Council is not levying a precept in 2019-20.  It is usually about £6,000.

12.2     To discuss budget.  It was stated that there are no earmarked reserves and that only only minimal expenditure needed for the War Memorial which was renovated in 2011. There was a proposal for speed cameras on Beech Lane, for which it was intended to get a 50% grant, but the application was made too late.  There have been no requests from the public for any projects.

13        TO RECEIVE ANY REPORTS ON HIGHWAY MATTERS AND AGREE ANY ACTION

13.1     To include review of proposal for speed cameras/VAS (historical info sent to Members).

            There was discussion and it was agreed that there is still enthusiasm for the speed camera project.  Number plate recognition was suggested but this is expensive.  There is automatic recording equipment from which data can be sent to the Police.  A site visit had been done, but the application was made 4 months too late for the grant.  Speed cameras/VAS are now cheaper and better, they are approx £2,500 each.  Software can be put on a laptop to download info from camera/VAS.  The Clerk will get further information from the Clerk to Corse/Hartpury. It was agreed to get a quote for the September meeting at which this will be an Agenda item. The Council must get approval for the siting, Clerk to contact Local Highways Manager. County Cllr Will Windsor Clive may be able to fund the posts (need 5, but just one device).  Need to identify positions and will need bracket for existing posts.

It was further agreed to talk to the Local Highways Manager about village gateways.

A Member had gone to a presentation by Charles Pedric which was very good.

14        REPORT OF ACTING CLERK

14.1     IT: it was suggested that a Hotmail email be set up and 4 USB sticks purchased.  It was agreed that only necessary documents be kept on the laptop, and the rest deleted.

            There are many years of minutes in the loft at the Village Hall.

14.2     There are certain documents which must be put on the website, eg, Standing Orders and Financial Controls.  The Clerk will draw up the documents, including those for GDPR, for review by the Council, prior to putting them on the website.

            The Clerk will contact the website manager to see if she can get permission to update the website herself.

15        TO RECEIVE CORRESPONDENCE

15.1     Noted:

Request from West Dean PC for info regarding speed cameras.

Offer of first aid courses by County.

15.2     Request from Area Highways Manager for information for winter planning. It was agreed that the Chairman contact the snow plough operator.  Cllr Preston offered to be Snow Warden.  The Parish does not have a winter plan.   There is one grit bin at Bromsberrow quarry.  It was agreed to ask the Village Hall if they would be willing to store a dozen bags of salt.

Discussion re lack of enforcement of conditions regarding non-use of wheel washer at old quarry (Dymock). Therefore, the roads are dirty. Concern re state of access road

16        ANY OTHER BUSINESS (FOR INFORMATION ONLY)

16.1     Litter picking is done bi monthly and will be continued until 2024. The District Council organise litter picking.  If volunteers do it, then litter picking gang won’t come.   Fly tipping is being dealt with.  The Chairman has the bags and litter pickers if anyone wants them.

16.2     An Act of Remembrance took place on the 11th November at the War Memorial.

Cllr Glenis Coates had done much research and produced an excellent commemorative booklet.  The bells were rung, and approximately 100 people attended.

At 10 pm the Chairman proposed, and it was agreed, to move into Confidential Business, pursuant to s1 Public Bodies (Admission to Meetings) Act 1960.